Where can I set up my business?

The zone designation of a piece of property, will determine what uses are allowed or not allowed. Business generally can conduct operations in the following zones:

  • B-1 Central Business
  • B-2 General Business
  • B-3 Business Office/Transition
  • I-1 Service Industrial
  • I-2 Restricted Industrial
  • I-3 Special Industrial
  • I-4 Limited Industrial
  • ID Institutional Development
  • IM Interstate Mixed Use
  • IOP
  • IRA Industrial Redevelopment Area
  • IT Interstate Trade
  • Neighborhood/Rural Commercial Development Zone
  • Newfield Street Planned Retail Business Commercial Zone
  • PL Park Land
  • TD Transitional Development

To find out what commercial uses are allow for each zone, consult Section 61 (PDF) of the Zoning Code.

Residential Zones allow only for very small scale types of business, that have been issued a Residential Unit Business Pursuit permit. Or what is allowed by Special Exception according to Section 60 of the Zoning Code.

Show All Answers

1. I am looking for a location for my business in Middletown, can the Planning Department help?
2. I am starting a new business in Middletown, what should I do at the Department of Planning, Conservation and Development?
3. Where can I set up my business?
4. What are the allowed uses of my property?
5. What kind of signs are not permitted Downtown?
6. What is te maximum height a sign can be?
7. What parking requirements affect my business?
8. Are there any programs offered by the City that can help my business?
9. I want to get a new sign or change the current sign for my business, what do I need to know?
10. Can I start a home-based business?