Middletown Commission on the Arts (MCA) present Middletown's Poet Laureate criteria.
- Nominees must be at least 18 years of age at the time of appointment
- The poet Laureate must have a strong desire to be actively engaged in the community by performing his or her own work and/or sharing his or her own work and talent with the public.
- Poets may self-nominate or be nominated by a Middletown resident.
- Nominees may not be MCA Commissioners or MCA Staff.
- Nominees must be full time Middletown residents for at least one year prior to the nomination date.
- Nominees must be experienced in the field of poetry and able to fulfill the required duties of the position.
Poet Laureate Opportunities
- A reception in their honor.
- Promote awareness of poetry in Middletown by participating in city and statewide events as an official representative of the City of Middletown.
- Promote at least one public event per year or as requested by the Mayor and/or the MCA.
- Foster public appreciation of and participation in poetry and literary arts activities in schools, colleges and the local literary community.
- Represent Middletown within the Connecticut Coalition of Poets Laureate.
Terms of Service
- The City Poet Laureate will serve for a term of 3 years with the possibility of renewal.
- As an official representative of the City of Middletown, the Poet Laureate must maintain Middletown residency during his or her term.
- The City Poet Laureate will be a nonvoting Member of the Middletown Commission on the Arts.